Sunday, October 19, 2008

Phillies - Rays 2008 World Series - Will Anyone Watch?

Will anyone watch the 2008 World Series between the Phillies and Rays? I hope so, but it doesn't look promising.


The Phillies have more heart than any National League team the past two seasons. Their September and October runs are inspiring. The Rays are the most exciting team in baseball this year, have a ton of young talent, and have a great worst-to-first story to tell. It's going to be a great World Series and a World Series that could draw in more fans if the games weren't ending at 11:30pm ET.

But it's not looking good from a TV ratings standpoint. Maybe Obama will get a discounted rate for his scheduled Game 6, thirty minute Billy Mays-esque infomercial.

Here are a couple of links that talked about the Phillies/Rays match-up for TV viewers.



4 comments:

Dave said...

NEW YORK -- Game 7 of the AL Championship Series drew the most viewers ever for a baseball game on cable television.

Nearly 13.4 million people watched the Tampa Bay Rays beat the Boston Red Sox 3-1 on Sunday night on TBS, the network said Monday. That broke the mark set by the 1998 Chicago Cubs-St. Louis Cardinals game on ESPN in which Mark McGwire hit his 61st home run to tie the single-season record.

James said...

Dave - I saw that. I think it's great. I hope that means baseball is getting more viewers.

But the Rays didn't play the Phils last night... they played Boston. And I think the Red Sox draw a pretty good TV audience.

I hope a ton of people watch. It's going to be a great series.

Dave said...

You might underestimate the Phillies fans, JRJ. Philadelphia is the 4th biggest media market in the country, ahead of Boston. I know that there are Phillies fans everywhere and they're loyal to their team. They haven't won a championship in 28 years so they're hungry.

And I really think that Tampa Bay is the greatest story in baseball in a long time. How often do you see the team with the worst record in baseball one year go to the World Series the next year? It's only happened once (1991). Call me crazy, but I think that baseball fans are excited about the Rays making the World Series.

James said...

Dave I hope you're right and it becomes the highest rated World Series.

I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.