Thursday, June 4, 2009

Why is this Pete Rose Card Graded?

Am I missing something? I've blogged about Rose many times, I have several of his cards and autographs, but I can't understand why this 1973 Topps card is even graded. Please help me if I'm missing the obvious.

The BGS 9.5 grade has pushed the current eBay bid price over $50. Previous auction sales of this card without a grade have sold between $8 and $22.

Personally, I don't like the picture in this card and it also looks like he just hit a pop-up on the infield.

5 comments:

Scott said...

The grading enables the owner to sell the card much easier -- and for much more as you allude to -- on ebay as buyers generally have confidence in the grading company.

Olds said...

Registry collectors -- who want top-graded cards of their player or top-graded cards of sets that they collect.

A PSA 10 Johnny Moore 1986-87 Fleer basketball card sold for $2,650 last fall.

At least this one is Pete Rose...

James said...

Scott - Thanks for commenting. I can understand grading a '63 Rose card, but a '73?

Chris - Thanks for stopping by. A PSA10 Johnny More for $2k? You're right... at least it is a Pete Rose card.

Contrary Guy said...

I think you might have answered your own question in the post when you referred to the increased value of the graded card. I was kind of thinking that maybe it was a trick question or something.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.