Monday, April 13, 2009

Jerry Grote Autograph - 40 Yrs Since the 1969 Mets

On a day where Mike Piazza is going to catch the first pitch at Citi Field, it's important to remember the first catcher who helped the Mets actually win a World Series - Jerry Grote.

I have nothing against Mike Piazza - he was my favorite Met for a time. But Piazza couldn't bring home the trophy, and I think it would fit better if Grote were catching Tom Seaver's first pitch today at Citi Field.

As part of my 40 years since the 1969 Mets celebration, here is an autograph baseball of Jerry Grote. Grote was a captain of the infield and caught one of the greatest pitching staffs in Mets history: Seaver, Koosman, Ryan, Gentry, McGraw and more.

Jerry Grote only hit .211 in the series, but had a huge double in Game 4 to help the Mets win it. Grote played with the Mets from 1966 to part of the 1977 season and was a two-time all-star with the Mets. Grote signed this baseball for me a couple of years ago at a CSA show.

My other 40 year Mets celebration pieces are here, here, and here!

No comments: