Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pete Rose and Bob Boone Autograph Story Baseball

About six years ago, I decided to start an autograph project that did more than collect signatures. I wanted it to be different. I wanted it to tell a story.

Pete Rose is one of my favorite players (add boo/hiss sounds here) and I wanted to do a project with him. "Sorry I bet on baseball" was not for me, but the idea is the same.

I decided to target the 1980 World Champion Phillies. With one out, in game 6, Frank White hit a pop-up down the first base line. Bob Boone chased after and tipped the ball just before Pete Rose could catch it from hitting the ground. Pete spiked the ball to the turf and ran back to first base.

Many credit Pete with making a great play, but Bob Boone remembers it a bit different.

While on vacation in Las Vegas a few years ago, I asked Pete Rose to autograph my 1980 World Series baseball with the inscription "I caught Boone's bobble in the 9th."

On Saturday, August 14, I asked Bob Boone to add to the story on the baseball. He read what Pete inscribed and I asked him to add something with his name. I was thinking, "Nice catch Pete" or "I should get the assist." Boone did even better.

Bob Boone added, "I'm the one that hustled on the play." Awesome.

6 comments:

deal said...

I have heard that play is belongs to the first baseman (Rose) more than once. And I always love Boone's recollection of the play.

20 yrs err.... 30 yrs later it really doesn't make a difference. you had two very good players in the house and one of them made that play that is all that matters.

Anonymous said...

That's a cool (and probably unique) baseball.

zman40 said...

That is funny and sad for me. It is funny because it is a future Royal putting Pete in his place. But, it is also sad since a highly-favored Royal made an out in that series.

Nonetheless, it is a great story!

James said...

Thanks - It's been one of those projects that I can't seem to finish. Boone didn't seem to happy about signing it, but I liked his inscription.

'30-Year Old Cardboard said...

Great stuff!!!

sports autograph said...

Great story for the baseball players to collect sports memorabilia.