Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Yes! The 1986 NY Daily News

Collecting newspapers of your team's accomplishment is a great way to capture the moment. You get the "YES!," the stories from the writers who followed them all year, and the emotion of the town.

In 1986, I was more concerned with the outfit my 7th grade teacher was wearing than collecting a NY Daily News after the Mets won the World Series - so I never thought about keeping the paper.

I finally found really nice conditioned NY Post and NY Daily News from the day after Game 7 of the 1986 World Series.

I usually see the folded, ripped, and stained versions on eBay, but a dealer at the MAB show in November had some great ones. I really only wanted the NY Daily News (I like the cover better), but he gave me a great deal if I bought both.

These go with the Dallas Morning News from the Cowboys' Super Bowl wins in the '90s, the Baltimore Sun from Cal Ripken's streak, and several Sept. 12, 2001 newspapers - including the SF Chronicle with "BASTARDS" in bold type face on the cover.

No comments: