Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Collecting For Your Kids

I started collecting World Series Programs for my kids when they were born. Years ago, I thought it would be a good idea for them to have a World Series Program of each year they were alive. I plan on doing it until they're old enough to continue the habit or when they give me the "Dad, that old crap is boring" line.

I decided the World Series programs because I think they provide an accurate reflection on the overall baseball season and snapshot of our popular culture. Ten or fifteen years from now, they'll be able to not only get a quick glance of the season (and Phillies/Yankees), but also get a snapshot of our society during that time.

For example, I have a few old Super Bowl programs that I like to look through. Learning about the players and teams are great, but I always find the advertisements extremely interesting. The "new Zenith color TV" advertisement is one of my favorites. I also like the "yoo-hoo sports drink." I like a cold yoo-hoo as much as the next guy, but I can't imagine drinking it to quench my thirst right after a game.

I decided not to do team sets of every year for them. I want the card collecting to be something fun we can do and learn together. As they get older, they'll also develop their own product preference.

Other ideas to consider:
- Super Bowl Programs
- Team Year Books
- Card Sets

No comments: