Monday, May 31, 2010

Sports Autograph Collecting is in our DNA

My boys have really enjoyed collecting baseball cards in the last two years. It's been fun for us to collect team sets, add them to a binder and talk about the teams and the players. We haven't done much on the autograph side of things.

I have a lot of autographs and they are displayed in one area of the house. We see them and talk about them when I get new ones, but I've never taken them to get one. I just wasn't sure if they would be into it yet.

Then it happened. I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure somewhere in that double-helix there is an autograph collecting gene.

Saturday night at the Columbus Clippers game, all kids received a free baseball. (The Clippers are the local minor league baseball team for us.) Between one inning, there was a lot of commotion behind our lawn seats and the boys ran over to see who it was.

At first I thought they'd come back with a free foam finger or free game tickets. Then I saw kids running around with pens and their baseballs. Maybe a local legend was in town?

They came back 2 minutes later with autographs on their baseballs - it was from the Clippers Mascot: Lou Seal.

I guess it's a start.

No comments: