Beckett's Nov. 07 Baseball Card Guide has their Top 12 cards of the 21st Century.
What? Apparently Beckett believes that we need a progress report on the Top 12 cards of the past 7 years. Are this century's cards so great that they can't decide on the standard "Top 10" so we get 12?
Here's their top ... 12 (whatever).
- Babe Ruth - 2005 Absolute Memorabilia Tools of the Trade Swatch Single Jumbo
- Cut Signatures - 2005 U.D. HOF Baseball Legendary Lineups
- Josh Gibson - 2003 SP Legendary Autographs Green Cuts
- Wagner/Cobb/Ruth/Matthewson/Johnson - 2001 U.D. HOF Cut Signatures
- Babe Ruth - 2005 Sweet Spot Signature
- Babe Ruth/Harry Frazee - 2005 SP Legendary Cuts Dual Autograph
- Albert Pujols - 2001 Bowman Chrome Auto Rookie
- Lou Gehrig/Wally Pip - 2004 Greats of the Game Comparison Cuts
- Ruth/Fox/Ott/Mathews - 2006 U.D. Epic Four Barrel
- Joe Jackson - 2001 Legendary Cuts Bat
- Irchiro Suzuki - 2001 Ultimate Collection Auto Rookie
- Jim Thorpe - 2005 Absolute Memorabilia
My second problem with the list is the card company's destruction of history! I still am not thrilled that we are destroying pieces of Babe Ruth's jersey and Josh Gibson's bat to make a trading card!
What's next? Cutting up of the Constitution for the 2008 UD Americana Card? Maybe that will crack the top 24 for the 2014 list.