Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ricky Williams is back, but the card value is not!

In his latest Steve Howe impression, Ricky Williams is back in the NFL - for now.

I confess, I was a huge Ricky Williams fan when he came out of Texas. He ran so much like Earl Campbell that I thought he was going to have a great career. Instead of making his days count in the NFL, he became dazed while in the NFL.

I bought so many of his rookie cards, from Donruss to PressPass only to watch their value drop to the floor faster than Ricky did trying to roll his last hippie lettuce smoke. I can't see his card value doing anything but stay in the basement.

So I've definitely been burned by the Ricky Williams smoke screen.

Rookie busts are a dime a dozen (Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Bryan Taylor, Harold Miner), but how many rookies had the talent and blew it or never reached their full potential because of the off the field the issues? Here's a list of players that I could think of:

  • Todd Maranovich
  • Ricky Williams
  • Dwight Gooden
  • Darryl Strawberry
  • Hollywood Henderson
  • Steve Howe

No comments: