Saturday, April 17, 2010

Remember Ray Knight's World Series Highlight

Can you be a Pete Rose fan, Mets fan and a Ray Knight fan? I really like this Topps card though.

Before Ray Knight hit the go ahead home run in Game 7 of the 1986 World Series, he became the man who replaced Pete Rose in Cincinnati. I didn't like Ray Knight for a time because of that - no fault to his, but I wasn't a fan.

And then Ray Knight smacked around Eric Davis in the early parts of the 1986 season in Riverfront Stadium.

The ejections triggered one of Davey Johnson's most memorable managing maneuvers. Roger McDowell and Jesse Orosco took turns playing the outfield and pitching through two innings until the Mets won in 14 innings.

Ray Knight signed my 1986 World Series baseball on the sweet spot when I finally got his autograph at an MAB show. He was nice to everyone and I'd like to see the Mets have a "Ray Knight Day" at Citi Field.


No comments: