Sunday, April 4, 2010

What Would Casey Stengel Say?

I added to my '62 Topps Mets team set last week at the CSA Show. I picked up this Casey Stengel card for a couple of dollars.

I'm a huge Mets fan, but I'm not looking forward to this season - I think they could easily land in last place of the NL East with this team.

After getting this card, I began thinking, "What would Casey say" about this current Mets team.

Here are some great "Stengelese" quotes - the last one is my favorite:
- All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
- I've been in this game a 100 years, but I see new ways to lose I never knew existed before.
- Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.
- I don't know if he throws a spitball but he sure spits on the ball.
- I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.
- Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits.
- Most people are dead at my age. You could look it up.
- Mr., that boy couldn't hit the ground if he fell out of an airplane.
- Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.
- The only thing worse than a Mets game is a Mets doubleheader.

No comments: