Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Fred Merkle - Johnny Evers Baseball Auction

Thanks to the Blue Heaven Blog and Sports Collector's Daily for bringing this amazing auction to my attention. The baseball from the historic "Merkle Boner Play" is going up for auction.


This is a great piece of baseball history. In August, 2008 I wrote a guest column for Beckett about the 100 year anniversary of the play that kept the Cubs out of the World Series. Since then, I've exchanged a few emails with the great, great nephew of Johnny Evers (John Evers) and have tried to get an interview with him.

I sent John an email Wednesday morning to get his take on the baseball going up for sale. His family originally sold the baseball to keep the "Johnny Evers Sporting Goods Company" in business - eventually it closed it's doors in 1994.

Keep your fingers crossed on this one! It would be great to get John's take on this auction.

2 comments:

Rob- AKA "VOTC" said...

Good luck- That would be a GREAT interview

James said...

@Rob - I have some info via email when we talked last year, but I'd really like to talk to him again.

The whole story about the event is amazing.