Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fred Merkle Day

Is it irony or destiny that 100 years after the Fred Merkle play the Chicago Cub are in New York playing against the team that used to call the Polo Grounds home?

Last month I blogged about the upcoming 100 year anniversary of the Fred Merkle play. I reached out to someone who said she's the granddaughter of Fred Merkle, but I didn't get a response.

If you're watching the game tonight, keep an eye on Louis Castillo (2B of the Mets) to see if he makes bone-head play too.

If you're in Chicago, watch the game at Merkle's Bar & Grill.

Or is this the night Mets fans get to see their first no-hitter with Johan Santana pitching?

3 comments:

T2E2C said...

Gald to see someone else remembers the day.

I am Johnny Evers great great nephew.

Wish I was down in NYC today watching the game - I may be one of the few out there who knows that it was 100 years ago today that Evers gave teh Cubs the chance to get to the World Series in 1908. Turns out it was their last one.

Great posting.

Next time in Chicago I will try to find the bar you mentioned.

Johnny Evers,
Albany

T2E2C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

Johnny Evers!
Great to see you posting a message here. Thanks for reading the blog and stopping by.

The Merkle bar is on N.Clark Street, not far from Wrigley Field.

Tell me - What happened to the baseball? And what more can you tell me about the Merkle play that you may have heard?

Send me an email if you can. I'd really like to talk to you about it.

Thanks again.