Friday, September 26, 2008

Umpire Dale Ford TTM Success

This spring I picked up my greatest through-the-mail success: Umpire Dale Ford. Dale was the umpire behind the plate during Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

Currently, Dale Ford is out of baseball and is a member of the Tennessee State Legislature. I contacted his assistant who gave my information to Dale. A few days later I had a voice mail from Dale Ford! We talked on the phone for a few minutes and he told me how great it was to umpire and to be a small part in that historic play. It was really a great experience talking to him.

Dale Ford has a long history in baseball including historic clashes against Billy Martin, Reggie Jackson, and Earl Weaver.

This project I'm working on is a 16"x20" photo of the Mookie Wilson ground ball through Bill Buckner's legs in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. So far I have Dale Ford, Bob Stanley and Bill Robinson's autograph on it (not seen on this image). I saw Stanley and Robinson at an MAB show last year. Bob Stanley was very cool about signing it and just laughed when he saw the picture. I was lucky to get Bill Robinson's autograph, sadly he passed away a few months later.

No comments: