Thursday, January 1, 2009

Billy Cowan Halo 1972 Topps Card

Billy Cowan isn't the most well-known baseball player and didn't have a stellar professional career, but he left his legacy with his 1972 Angels "Halo" card.

Cowan and the photographer had some good fun with the giant Angels halo that marked the stadium. Thanks to the photographers' eye and Cowan's sense of humor, this card is one of the most popular TTM autograph cards.

Check out the entire article at the Bronx Banter blog. It's pretty interesting.



Thanks to the BronxBanter for writing this and the Baseball Think Factory for bringing it to my attention.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome card. I sent a copy of it to Cowan last year, and he signed it for me.

night owl said...

That's pretty cool. I collect '72s, but I've never seen that card. There are several Angels posed in front of the Big A halo, but Cowan seems to be the only one "wearing" the halo.

zman40 said...

That is pretty cool. It amazes me how slanted some of the pictures are in those early '70s card.

James said...

You would have thought someone could have found a level in the 1970s.