Monday, January 26, 2009

Mr. Cub Ernie Banks Autograph

A friend of mine sent this picture to me from last month's Toys for Tots drive in Naperville, IL. Ernie Banks signed a baseball, added the inscription "Mr. Cub," and paused for a great photo opportunity.


Wouldn't it be great if more athletes did this!? Banks isn't looking for a couple more dollars, he's raising funds for a charity.

How much better would local charities do if athletes charged toys, canned goods, meals, or donations in exchange for their autograph. Wouldn't we all feel better about the experience?

I know this is probably more common than I know about. I'm sure there are plenty of athletes that do this type of charity work. I only wish there were more like Mr. Cub.

7 comments:

zman40 said...

That is cool. I was at a few Braves games in 2006 where you could get John Smoltz's autograph if you brought 20 canned goods (or for $20). The only problem was I never knew about it in advance. I would get to the ballpark and there he would be outside the gate signing and I didn't have any canned goods are anything to get signed.

But it is a good idea. I'm glad that there are a few people doing it.

'30-Year Old Cardboard said...

Banks defines the word 'classy'. I agree that more players and organizations should take notice and develop more ways for fans to help.

'30-Year Old Cardboard said...

Banks defines the word 'classy'. I agree that more players and organizations should take notice and develop more ways for fans to help.

James said...

Smoltz is a class act, I'm not surprised to hear that.

Players could really help out the communities so much more if they did this a bit more frequently. Unfortunately, the millions of dollars they've earned isn't enough, so they need to keep charging outrageous autograph prices.

James said...

Anyone seen Willie Mays' autograph cost?

zman40 said...

I haven't and I'm sure it isn't cheap.

James said...

He's like $300 a baseball, $400 for a bat and $600 for a jersey. Inscriptions are about $150. I'm curious to see if his pricing changes. He'll be a Philly show in March: http://www.mab-celebrity.com/c-750-philadelphia-sports-card-and-memoribilia-show.aspx