Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gary Carter Autograph Collection - 1981 All Star MVP

What? An autograph not on the sweet spot?!

In my opinion, if you're getting a specialty ball signed, then get it right under the special logo. The reason is because of the display. You're going to want to display the baseball with the special logo and the autograph. Get it done this way, so both will show.

Originally, the 1981 All-Star game was going to be played on July 14, but had to be moved back due to the player's strike. As a result, the game was held in Cleveland on August 9. Gary Carter hit two home runs in the game to earn the 1981 All-Star game MVP award.

This autograph is on a 1981 All-Star game baseball and has Carter's MVP inscription. I obtained this one from the 2007 National in Cleveland. If you're on Facebook, be sure to join The National group!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. I don't think I've ever seen a 1981 All-Star ball before.

When did they start doing the special commemorative baseballs?

'30-Year Old Cardboard said...

Sweet spot signatures are great, but I agree with you that this signature needs to be with the All-Star logo. Great job!!

James said...

I'm not sure whent the speciality balls started. I haven't seen many older than 1981. I think these are great if you're collecting All-Star MVPs, home run champions, World Series MVPs, etc. I found this on eBay or one of the other baseball online stores.

I have a 1996 All Star game baseball that I want to get Piazza's signature on. For whatever reason, he refuses to sign all-star game pieces.