Thursday, January 29, 2009

New Florida Marlins Stadium Images

New images have been released for the proposed Florida Marlins baseball stadium.


Miami-Dade County Commissioners and Miami City commissioners vote February 13 on the new stadium (hopefully Friday the 13th doesn't jinx the vote for baseball fans).

It's hard to tell exactly how this could look once finished, but clearly is a move away from newer ball park designs in Baltimore, San Francisco, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and a couple of others.

Thanks to the Biz of Baseball for posting images.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Yeah, but it's a move towards ball park designs like Milwaukee and Arizona isn't it? Hopefully the Marlins can attract some more fans once the stadium opens...

James said...

Safeco Field is probably the closest comparison.

zman40 said...

That certainly is different. I have a friend that works for HOK in Kansas City. She let me tour the place once in 2005. Back then they had a model out for the proposed Marlins ballpark and it looked nothing like this. This one is kind of weird looking. I wouldn't even call it and Safco comparable in any way (besides the open roof hanging off of the edge, just like in Houston).

To me, this park looks like a futuristic '70s cookie cutter stadium with glass and a roof. I like the older proposal much better.

James said...

My favorite part of this new design is: It isn't not their current stadium. Really anything short of looking like the Astrodome would be an improvement!

zman40 said...

What I do like about it is that it is different. To me, all of the "retro" parks are starting to run together and they are running out of gimmicks to differentiate between all of them. So, I think that this is a bold move in the right direction. All of the glass kind of reminds me of the proposed design for the Rays new ballpark.
While I have never been to a game at the Astrodome, I think that playing there would be better than that football stadium they play in now.