Friday, February 6, 2009

Baseball Author Lee Lowenfish Book Event

Lee Lowenfish is a carrier of baseball history. His fourth book, "Branch Rickey: Baseball's Ferocious Gentleman," was on my summer reading list already, but has now been pushed to the front of the list. I found out this morning that Lowenfish is going to be doing an event at a local book store next month.


I'm assuming Lowenfish is doing the book event in this area since Branch Rickey was an Ohio Wesleyan Alumni.

Book events can be great because they can provide an opportunity to share your thoughts with the author, learn more about his/her background and get a better understanding of their mindset when writing the book.

Lowenfish has been doing baseball research and teaching history since the '70s and Branch Rickey is a great topic. Rickey is a baseball pioneer that who brought Jackie Robinson to the majors while he was a Dodgers GM and started the modern-day farm system when he was with the St. Louis Cardinals.
I'll see if I can find out more tonight about the event. If you're the Central Ohio area, let me know if you're going to attend. Or if I can, let me know if you'd like me to pick up an autograph book for you. I'll see what I can do.

2 comments:

deal said...

I love author events. Baseball writers and players have some great stories - every time I ahve gone to one, it has been well worth the time and the cost of a book. Notable sports related ones I can remember are Bill Conlin, Jayson Stark, Stefan Fatsis, Tim McCarver (yes I enjoyed McCarver)and Sal Paolantonio.

James said...

I bet the SalPal one would be awesome. I met him at an airport once - he was really cool. I like his reporting.