Sunday, May 31, 2009

Harvey Haddix 50 Yr. Anniversary - Not in the Cards

Can a museum really sell out of tickets? Apparently so.

I planned to attend the Clark County Historical Society's 50 Year Anniversary Celebration for Harvey Haddix. Thanks to Phungo for the heads-up last week.

Haddix pitched 12 1/3 innings of perfect baseball 50 years ago and is from the Springfield, Ohio area. The historical society was having some artifacts, guest speakers and such. I called Friday for more information and I was informed they were sold out?! WHAT?

How does a museum sell out? Think about - a non-profit organization, in a recession, is selling out of tickets? If you're a non-profit (or profit in this economy) you should never sell out of anything. You're leaving money on the table! Either move the event to a bigger venue or charge more money.

So... (yes I'm still grumpy about this), I planned to take the family and spend the afternoon in Springfield getting closer to baseball history and could not go because they stopped selling tickets! Amazing.

3 comments:

zman40 said...

That is strange. You wouldn't expect something like this to have a set number of tickets.

Speaking of 12 and a 1/3, did you hear about that U of Texas pitcher that came in in relief and pitched 12.1 innings before giving up a hit? He only needed 169 pitches to do it, too. Sounds like a crazy game: http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2008-2009/ausregg4.html

deal said...

Absolute Bummer - I should of let you know how about this sooner - I meant to send off an email because I thought it may be in your area - then I got busy and forgot.

perhaps the exhibit will at least be there even though you could not make the event.

James said...

@Zman40 - I read about that game. Ironic he does it on the Harvey Haddix weekend.

@deal - Thanks, but I should have called the society sooner. I can't imagine how many people read about it online and just arrived there thinking that it wouldn't be an issue. Thanks again for your help.