Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Biggest Super Bowl Loss

The score doesn't have to be one-sided to be considered the worst Super Bowl loss in the history of the game. Last week's poll question was about the Patriots' loss to the Giants in Super Bowl 42.

Super Bowl XX was bad for New England the Bills' 52-17 loss to Dallas in Super Bowl XXVII was huge too. But I think this loss by New England is the biggest loss of them all.

Why? I think it's easy to see if you just look at the teams and statistics on paper. The #1 team in NFL history, the only 18-0 team was playing a team who barely made the playoffs. And the team that barely made the playoffs won. Now, I'm not taking anything away from the Giants, their fans, or their accomplishment. It's a great win for them, but I think it's a bigger loss for the Patriots.

I reserve the right to change my mind next year. For example, if New England wins XLIII, then this year's loss isn't that bad. But if they start to slip, like other teams have after losing a Super Bowl (Bills, Chargers, Raiders, etc.), then I don't think there is any doubt that this is the biggest Super Bowl loss in history.

No comments: