Sunday, February 10, 2008

Super Bowl One Week Later



I waited a week before writing about the Super Bowl because I wanted the whole experience to sink in a bit.

My impressions of the event are the same as they were 7 minutes after it ended.

The Super Bowl is more than a game, it's a life event. And people who don't get that, have never witnessed a Super Bowl with families cheering their favorite team in the league's biggest game.

I can't remember the last time I saw that many familes standing together with arms around each other hugging, smiling, laughing, crying, and posing for pictures. I saw father/sons, brothers, husbands/wives, fathers/daughters, and 3-generation fans celebrating together.

A father/son sat in front of me (Giants fans) during the game. Immediately after the game ended, the son ran from his seat. He came back 5 minutes later with NY Giants Super Bowl Champion hats and t-shirts! I was more than happy to take a picture of them together in the new championship gear.

Sports is more than remember how many interceptions Steve Grogan threw during New England's last Super Bowl loss. It's a moment when families come together, put aside their differences, and put their arms around each other.

No comments: