Friday, December 19, 2008

1973 Topps Willie Mays

Willie Mays in a Mets uniform! For Mets fans, this was a dream come true. Willie's best days were behind him when he made his way back to New York, but he finished his career where it began - in New York.

This is one of my favorites because it has Mays in a Mets uniform and the back of the card list his stats from 1951 to 1972. I'd like to get his 1974 Topps card where he's batting in the World Series vs. the Oakland A's.

I was at a SF Giants game in 2001 when Willie Mays came on the field before the game to be part of a Barry Bonds home run celebration. It was great just to be in the same stadium as him.

Imagine how many home runs Willie would have had if he didn't spend time in the US Army. Mays missed approximately 266 games because he was drafted.

My favorite Willie Mays stat is: Mays is the only player in MLB history to have hit a home run in every inning from the 1st to the 16th.

Willie was back in New York this fall as part of the closing ceremonies for Shea Stadium.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a great card. I think out of all the vintage cards that I don't own, it may be the one I want most.