Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sports Card Hall of Fame - Great Idea from Sports Card Info

Edit 12/3 @ 1:14pm ET.
Sports Card Info had great post on Tuesday about a National Sports Card Hall of Fame & Museum. I think something like this would be great! Sports cards are a reflection on our history - a museum to showcase this would be outstanding. Thank you Sports Card Info.

Beckett did a virtual baseball card hall of fame a couple of years ago, but I don't know if it still exists. I remember the 1989 Upper Deck #1 going in. Maybe Eric can give us an update?

As a stepping stone to the real thing, I'd like to see the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown have a baseball card wing. I think the roots of the hobby are in baseball and seems to me it would be a logical place to start.

I'm going to see if I can get a reaction to someone at the Baseball HOF about this. Last year, they were very quick to respond about questions I had about the Mitchell Report's place in the HOF.

Edit: I received an email from Craig Muder, the Baseball HOF Comm. Director, saying the Hall of Fame does have an exhibit dedicated to baseball cards including the Honus Wagner Card. Thanks to Craig for the speedy reply.

A Baseball Card Museum may seem odd to some, but I found a few museums that definitely more obscure than a baseball card museum would be:

  • Lunchbox Museum, Salem, AL
  • Frog Fantasies Museum, Eureka Springs, AK
  • Barbie Hall of Fame, Palo Alto, CA
  • Banana Museum, Altadena, CA
  • Phosphate Museum, Mulberry, FL
  • Mushroom Museum, Kennett Square, PA
  • McDonald's Museum, Des Plaines, IL
  • Museum of Bad Art, Dedham, MA
  • Carhenge, Alliance, NE
  • International Checker Hall of Fame, Petal, MI
  • Cockroach Hall of Fame, Plano,TX

No comments: